WHAT IS A CROWN?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped "cap" that is placed over a tooth -- to cover the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and improve its appearance. The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
WHEN WOULD I NEED A CROWN?
1. Cover discoloured or worn teeth
2. Replacement of a large filling
3. To stop a tooth from further cracking or fracturing
4. To anchor a bridge replacing a missing tooth
5. After root canal treatment
It typically takes two separate appointments for a dentist to place a dental crown. Preparing (shaping) the tooth, Taking its impression and placing a temporary crown. Here at The Dental Center, we can do crown replacements in just 1 HOUR!
WHAT IS A BRIDGE?
A bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap -- these two or more anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth -- and a false tooth/teeth in between. These false teeth are called pontics and can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials. Dental bridges are supported by natural teeth or implants.
WHEN WOULD I NEED A BRIDGE?
1. Restoring your smile
2. Restoring the ability to properly chew and speak
3. Maintaining the shape of your face
4. To distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth
5. If you have a gap between your teeth due to a lose teeth prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
There are three main types of dental bridges:
*Traditional bridges involve creating a crown for the tooth or implant on either side of the missing tooth, with a pontic in between. Traditional bridges are the most common type of bridge and are made of either porcelain fused to metal or cerami